Tuesday, December 7, 2010

The search continues...

Update time! So the horse 'Oscar' that we were interested in unfortunately didn't pass his vet check! He had some issues with one of his tendons as well as some soreness in his heels and an abbess in his mouth from a possible tooth root disease. It was clear that Oscar wasn't the horse for us which was a shame because he was a lovely boy.
This thursday the first horse we went to see called 'Vixen' is having a vet check and Brent and I are sure hoping she passes! I'll let you know that vet checks are very expensive and if Vixen fails we will need to save up some more money before we continue the search for a horse. However, God is really providing and we have been approached for a potential vet sponsorship which is really exciting. Anyway, Vixen has the most wonderful nature and although she is less experienced in harness, she demonstrated a real trust with us and was incredibly willing. She has the right temperament and that is so important. We will be willing to work a bit more with her as we know she will pick things up really fast and she will be a great horse to learn with and desensitize to things easily. Unfortunately her teeth are a little run down but it's not stopping her keeping all her condition on and so as long as the vet sees nothing seriously wrong, we are really hoping to call Vixen our own.
Further news, today I had a driving lesson in Pirongia! Brent couldn't make it due to timetable changes with his school where he teaches but I drove all the way anyhow (phew it was a looong drive!) andam so glad I did. I learned a lot about various types of harnesses and carts/wagons. I also learned about tandem driving vs pairs and of course had some time in the cart myself learning the technique! It's quite a lot more difficult than I anticipated but I feel I will definitely get the hang of it over time! In the horse world there are so many dos and don'ts and the horse driving world is no different... I hope that on our trek if we choose to do things slightly less than coachman standard, we will be forgiven!

Anyway, that's all from me. I'm exhausted! Pulling up two clydesdales before stop signs at an intersection is hard work for my scrawny arms!

No comments:

Post a Comment